St. Kevin's GAA Philipstown Crest

Follow Us On :

7 Star Philipstown Tear Oliver Plunketts Apart

St. Kevins: 7-10       Oliver Plunketts: 1-7

After a disappointing showing away to Dundalk Gaels last weekend, Thomas Macnamee’s team showed the class they possess putting 7 goals away in their second league game of the season. 

St. Kevins: Josh Finlay, Eoin McKenna, Finbarr Lynch, Darren McMullan, Keelan Maher, Cameron Maher, Karl Martin, Evan Maher, Brian Callaghan, Josh McArdle Lynch, Lee Crosbie 0-4 3f 1 45), Patrick Clarke (1-2), Cian Callan (4-0), Ronan Sands (1-1), Tom Matthews (1-3 1m). Subs used: Evan Doheny, Brandon Johnson

With wet and cold weather in the early stages of the first half both teams were at a stalemate, trading frees. But 3 unanswered goals in 3 minutes settled St. Kevin’s and set the tone for the rest of the evening.

The first came after 13 minutes, when Tom Matthews caught a direct long ball and excellently spun his man at the edge of the 21-yard line. His quick turn of pace opened a gap in the Plunketts defence, and he made no mistake slotting home with his right foot. 

From the resulting kickout Philipstown went straight for goal again, with Cian Callan scoring from the deck, but Macnamee’s men didn’t want to stop there.  A monster catch from Louth U20 midfielder Evan Maher following a nice move from St. Kevin’s gave Matthews enough space to turn provider setting up Patrick Clarke who made a powerful run from wing forward to leave his side 3-3 to 0-3 after the opening 15 minutes.

A small lapse in concentration from the following series of play gave Oliver Plunketts a lifeline into the game scoring the 4th goal in as many minutes in what was a very attacking affair. 

Unimpaired frees from Lee Crosbie kept St. Kevin’s ticking over as they went into the break leading 3-4 to 1-4.

St. Kevin’s started the second half as they finished the first with another goal. Tom Matthews, who was lively all evening, played a wonderful diagonal pass straight to the chest of Cian Callan who set up Ronan Sands who only had to walk the ball in for St. Kevin’s fourth.

5 unanswered points from Patrick Clarke and Tom Matthews seemed to knock the stuffing out the Drogheda outfit who until then, matched their opponents for possession and attacks. 

Ruthless Cian Callan, who came to life in the second half, took advantage of the depleted Plunkett’s defence scoring a hattrick of goals. The pick of the bunch being the last when he fooled every spectator with a fake hand pass, sending the goalkeeper to the other end of the goals, only having to tap in for his fourth. 

A flattering score line for St. Kevin’s who took their goal chances flawlessly, but Oliver Plunkett’s kicking 14 wides will be concerning for Thomas Macnamee, and hopefully keeps his team’s feet firmly on the ground as they travel to the O’Raghallaighs, one of the favourites from the division, next Saturday. 

Tags :
Share This :

Related News

Support the lotto for as little as €2 per week and win big

€9,500 JACKPOT